Looking for VEGANUARY inspo? Try this… If you make an effort with flavours, you won’t miss meat and #plantbased meals are even easier!
I still eat meat but in an effort to just cut down consumption a little, here is one of my new favourites : Chipotle Lentil Chili!
This chili follows the same basic steps of most chilis, and is pretty simple – throw it all in basically. However, we always start by frying off the spices first – it really makes a difference to the flavour. In a hot pan fry them all for 2 minutes before your onions, garlic and peppers… Step by step below.
Ingredients (for 6+)
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 red onions – chopped
- 1 red pepper – chopped
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms – chopped
- 6 garlic cloves – chopped
- ½ jar of Chipotle Chillies (smokey taste really makes this…)
- 2 tspns of oregano
- 2 tspns of ground cumin
- 2 tspns ground cinnmaon
- 2 tspns of smoked paprika
- 1 huge pinch of good quality salt & pepper
- 2 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cups of broth (I like organic bone broth, but stock is fine)
- 2 tins of brown lentils
- 1 can of kidney drained & rinsed (black beans also good)
- 1 can of sweetcorn
- 2 tspns of whatever your chilli “secret ingredient is”… some say cocoa powder/ marmite / ketchup / extra chili flakes
- Huge bunch of Fresh Coriander
- Greek Yoghurt
- Grated Cheese (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add all the herbs and spices and let the aromas open up for two minutes. Then add the onions and cook until soft (approx. 5 mins).
Add the pepper, garlic, & tomatoes – stirring, for 3 minutes.
Stir in everything else, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes.
Add all the toppings and serve when piping hot!
Lentils and black beans are packed with fibre, which makes this chili extra filling and satisfying.
You can freeze in for 4 months so make a huge batch and future- you will thank you!