This is an easy “one pot” recipe of eggs baked in a tomato, chorizo, and paprika sauce. You simply mix the sauce together fairly quickly on the stove, then crack eggs into the pan, nestling them into the sauce. Pop the pan in to the oven to poach and voila!
Baked eggs are also called “Shakshuka” and originated in North Africa. You can change up all the ingredients and make it as healthy or unhealthy as you like – adding feta makes it even nicer… and so does dipping garlic ciabatta in to your dish, but still delicious without!
- 1 cup of chorizo
- 1 yellow pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¾ cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 pinches of paprika
- Squeeze of honey
- 2 cups of spinach
- 4 eggs
- Chilli Flakes to taste (if you like spicy)
- Set oven to 180 ‘C
- Pop the chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes and yellow pepper in an oven proof pan with oil and sea salt. Cook for 10 minutes until softened
- Add the tomato paste, honey, paprika, spinach, chorizo and the can of tomatoes.
- Stir and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Using 2 spoons to dig a little well, crack an egg in to each hole.
- Put the pan straight in to the oven for about 10 minutes. Keep your eyes on it so the yolks stay runny but the whites are cooked.
- Pop your ciabatta or any dipping bread if you are eating it in to the oven now too.
- Remove and serve immediately!
Hope you like it!
Look forward to seeing all your creations! PWPantry x